From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Maintain original udev directory locations
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 15:03:18
1 On 08/06/2012 04:57 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > The udev situation is a mess. Directory locations are being changed and
3 > there is no way for portage to fix things on people's systems. Most
4 > recently, /lib/udev moved to /usr/lib/udev, against the advice of the
5 > systemd developers. Now whenever a user's system is upgraded to the
6 > newer udev, everything that installs files into that location breaks and
7 > the cause is far from obvious.
8 >
9 > Lets keep udev stuff in the original directories until portage is
10 > capable of rebuilding packages that depend on certain system directory
11 > locations being constant. I would like the council to vote on this matter.
14 Everything? I suppose you missed the compability patch applied in
15 udev-187-r1, 0001-udev-add-lib-udev-rules.d-to-rules-directories.patch
16 from udev-187-patches-1.tar.bz2 which adds /lib/udev/rules.d back to the
17 search path despite of installing to /usr.
18
19 True that dracut will need minor adjustment, but otherwise this is just
20 a lot of noise over nothing:
21
22 Packages should have been respecting the 'udevdir' defined by the
23 udev.pc pkg-config in the first place, and now is an excellent time to
24 make it so.