From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:32:12
1 On 14-08-2011 12:22:54 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 08/14/2011 12:19 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > On 14-08-2011 12:06:57 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 > >> My proposal is:
5 > >>
6 > >> Devrel: 1 year term. Developers are nominated by others or they
7 > >> can self-nominated
8 > >>
9 > >> QA: 6-month term. Developers are nominated by others or they can
10 > >> self-nominated
11 > >
12 > > Why not make this a 1-year term also?
13 > Because having a QA team slacking for a year before you take action is
14 > too much :/. OTOH, maybe a 6-month term for DevRel makes more sense.
15
16 Ok, but then I'd prefer to make Council a monitoring entity of these
17 two. That is, if QA or DevRel team(-lead) is slacking (however you
18 would define that), Council has the right to appoint a new lead (any
19 time). That way you give the regular 1 year term to someone who does
20 his/her job, but allow to intervene directly as needed (and not after 6
21 months).
22
23 > >> This is just a brainstorming so please let me know what you think.
24 > >
25 > > I think this could be a good idea. It is probably best when the time
26 > > to vote on both QA and DevRel leads is halfway the term of the
27 > > council, else it may as well make as much sense to have the
28 > > dev-community vote on them directly.
29 > >
30 > Fair point but given the turnout in the last Council elections I don't
31 > think developers will care to vote for QA/DevRel leaders. This is better
32 > if it is handled directly by their representatives ( Council )
33
34 Right, agree here. I also believe the low turnout can be interpreted as
35 little to no interest to deal with stuff like this, so probably best
36 when Council does all the "work".
40 Fabian Groffen
41 Gentoo on a different level