From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 21:42:44
1 >>>>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2021, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jul 05, 2021 at 12:17:35PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> In the past, the council had also banned EAPIs. However, that didn't
5 >> make much of a practical difference because an EAPI cannot be added
6 >> to eapis-banned in layout.conf unless all ebuilds are gone. Maybe we
7 >> should have a rule like the following instead:
8 >> "A deprecated EAPI is considered banned when the Gentoo repository
9 >> no longer contains any ebuilds using it."
10
11 > Having the council vote to officially ban an EAPI does have
12 > practicality. The work done by those porting ebuilds, removing old
13 > packages, etc is hindered when other begin committing ebuilds
14 > deprecated but not banned.
15
16 > I would ask that the council continue the official motions and votes
17 > to ban EAPI's prior to being "enforced" by tooling. This assists those
18 > doing the work and the QA team to stop people from committing.
19
20 The point is that banning an EAPI doesn't have any noticeable effect.
21 For example, if you look at EAPI 0 (banned on 2016-01-10) and EAPI 4
22 (banned on 2018-04-08), there's neither a cusp nor any change of slope
23 visible for the curves plotted here:
24 https://www.akhuettel.de/~huettel/plots/eapi.php
25
26 Ulrich