From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2021-04-11
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 14:31:58
1 On 2021-04-11 08:26, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > Can we still offer Github mirror as an alternative in the handbook? And
3 > adding a disclaimer about everything you said above. Or at least provide
4 > a link to wiki page how to switch into git-syncing, somewhere in the
5 > "Finalizing" section or "Portage introduction" perhaps?
6
7 No or only if we can do that by providing a Gentoo-controlled DNS name
8 pointing to GitHub (or any other service not controlled by Gentoo) but I
9 don't know if this is possible with git/Github at all.
10
11 However, telling people in official documentation to use something we
12 don't control will cause major problems in case we have to take actions.
13 That you cannot think about any possible problem at the moment ('if
14 Github decides to "go away" quite many distributions will be far more
15 screwed') is a very weak argument from my POV.
16
17 Imagine there will be another security incident and we will lose access
18 to our GitHub mirror and we won't be able to sort the issue in a timely
19 manner...
20
21 We should be prepared.
22
23 And I think we are only discussion about GitHub because some of us
24 aren't always happy with the state/reliability of our infrastructure.
25 But it doesn't help to ignore the root problem and move instead to third
26 parties. If we want to be a real, serious, distribution with own social
27 contract and not just a random project which will show up and disappear
28 we should be able to run our own infrastructure in a way which makes us
29 proud without the need to talk about any third party services.
33 Regards,
34 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
35 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature