From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] williamh 2021-2022 council manifesto
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 04:19:51
1 Hi all,
2
3 In case you are wondering why I didn't send this sooner, I was on a
4 vacation for the last week.
5
6 for those of you who don't know me, I have been a Gentoo developer and a
7 maintainer of OpenRC, member of base-system, the accessibility project,
8 and a maintainer of multiple packages in the tree for some time.
9 I also have served on the qa team in the past.
10
11 I have served on the council for several terms, and I would like to have
12 the priviledge of serving for another term. Below are my thoughts about
13 the council and what I think we can do.
14
15 The council should be asked to make a decision on an issue only when
16 the issue cannot be settled by the community itself. Innovations should
17 come from the developers, and the council should do what it can to
18 support these innovations.
19
20 When the council is asked to make a decision, it should be fully
21 informed about both sides of the issue before it votes. On the other
22 hand, the council should not block progress by taking an extremely long
23 time to make a decision.
24
25 We can learn from the past and improve upon it. Continuing
26 to do things like we have in the past is not a bad thing in itself.
27 However, using what we have done in the past to block change can be. I
28 understand that people are used to doing things a certain way. However,
29 that alone is not justification for continuing to do things the same way
30 in the future. if we need to make a change, we should make sure that
31 change is backward compatible with what we have, or if this is not
32 possible, provide the smoothest possible transition for our users.
33 Since the council doesn't maintain all of the packages, the council is
34 not going to know the technical details of how to make either of these
35 happen, so I don't feel that the council should mandate specific
36 implementations.
37
38 If anyone has any questions for me, please feel free to ask in this
39 thread. Also, I will be responding to the questions for nominees thread
40 tomorrow.
41
42 Thanks for your time, and please participate in the election.
43
44 William