From: "J. Rutkowski" <jrtk@×××.io>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: pr@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Public Outreach Project
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:26:05
I would like top improve Gentoo Public Relations outreach to attract new
users. Part of this idea would be to improve current Public Relations
(social media, GMN, etc.) in addition to grass-roots promotion efforts
at conferences, Linux User Groups, and other local or regional events.
The idea started when reviewing the Gentoo Events project [1] which
seems all but dead since 2011. I have created a draft resurrection of
the events project, currently located in my userspace on the wiki [2]. I
would like to update the project and allow any contributor to add events
as they are announced and indicate they would like to participate as a
Gentoo representative.

Here's a short write-up for the outreach project proposal:

*Gentoo Champions* are the public representatives of Gentoo. Champions
ensure that the public understands Gentoo’s philosophy and is aware of
ongoing projects. Additionally, Champions are responsible for assisting
in growing the Gentoo community and contributors, acting as
representatives and liaisons between other FOSS projects and the Gentoo
community. Champions can represent Gentoo at Linux User Groups (LUGs),
conferences, installfests, on social media, and in mailing lists.

*Gentoo Champion Goals*
 * Demonstrate and promote Gentoo projects
 * Represent Gentoo at local events and conferences
 * Encourage increased Gentoo contribution

*Events* Representing Gentoo at events is an important part of being a
Champion. We are looking for contributors who can represent Gentoo by
manning a booth, distributing media, demonstrating projects, and
organizing events on behalf of the project. See the conference
schedule[2] for a list of events where support is needed.

*FAQs* *Is it necessary to be Gentoo developer or staff to be a Gentoo
Champion?* No. Anyone can assist in representing Gentoo. However, being
a Gentoo Champion is one way to make continued and substantial
contribution to the Gentoo project and become a Gentoo Developer.[3]

*What can I do as a Champion?* That’s up to your imagination! Some
suggestions:
 * Speak at local events (LinuxFests, LUGs, etc.) where others
   are interested in learning about Linux and discuss the
   advantages of Gentoo
 * Assist Gentoo in manning booths at events
 * Join a hackerspace and promote Gentoo for embedded systems and/or
   towards software developers
 * Participate in and/or organize Gentoo hackathons and installfests
 * Participate actively in mailing lists, forums, IRC channels
 * Manage social media groups
 * Serve as regional POCs
 * Come up with new ideas to promote Gentoo
 * Interview Gentoo Developers for a recurring newsletter in order for
   the user base to get to know them, ask questions, etc.
 * Report on attending conferences, LUGs, etc.
 * Standardize marketing material (media, presentations, handouts,
   artwork, etc.)
 * Work with localization teams to extend global reach

*How can I participate?* Come visit us on #gentoo-pr.

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Events
[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Jrtk/drafts/Outreach
[3]https://www.gentoo.org/get-involved/become-developer/

---