From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: separate /usr preparation vote
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 01:40:12
1 On 08/18/2013 09:46 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Anthony G. Basile
3 > <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 >> ditto. I want this debated in the community, ie, I want to hear the
5 >> community say "all the preperation for dropping support ... are complete".
6 > The community will never say that, just like no community ever said
7 > "hey, we need a source-based linux distro!"
8
9 There may be valid objects which will be silenced by the rush. I'd like
10 to hear from people whom this will directly affect, like Chainsaw.
13 > Progress and change gets initiated by individuals or small teams, and
14 > the community always has to play catch up. That's just how change and
15 > innovation works.
16
17 This is not innovation.
20 > The role of the community is to say why preparations AREN'T complete.
21 > The default needs to be action, not inaction. If we only change
22 > things when a majority are clamoring for change, then I suggest that
23 > anybody cares about running an interesting distro fork Gentoo now.
24 > This isn't CentOS, and we're not going to backport patches to linux
25 > 2.4 until 95% of our customers agree that whatever proprietary blob
26 > they're using is ready for 2.6.
27 >
28 > Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see debate. However, williamh made a
29 > proposal, and if somebody wants to argue that we aren't ready yet then
30 > they need to step up and do it.
31
32 In other words, let's give the community a chance to bring forward concerns.
33
34 > That is how every court in the world
35 > works, as far as I know (if you don't show up, you don't get a say).
36 > I'm not really chomping at the bit to see stuff move to /usr, but if
37 > people have a reason to ask for inaction, they need to voice it, and
38 > not just ask everybody else to pass time. If there is a reason to
39 > hold things up I'll be the first to agree to hold things up,
40
41 We are rushing this. People need time to think of the consequences. So
42 a valid reason for waiting is that I (and probably others) haven't had
43 the time to think through the consequences. We have a 6 month window,
44 why is it so important that this be done now?
45
46 > but there
47 > has to be a reason, otherwise I'll probably support WONTFIXing any
48 > separate-/usr regressions on existing packages, not putting any
49 > restrictions on packages that weren't stable more than a year ago, and
50 > allowing large changes to packages older than that if they can be
51 > justified.
52 >
53 > Rich
54 >
55 If this had been done in 2008, my entire teaching lab would have been
56 broken.
59 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
60 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
61 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
62 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
63 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA