From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fundraising for incremental service level
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:03:11
1 On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 3:00 AM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So I think we can, somewhat, get away from this framing. Just get the community to pitch N projects and rank them. Offhand I can think of a few:
4 > - Replace portage with pkgcore.
5 > - pkgcore maintainer (replace radhermit; who has been asking for help for months)
6 > - build a package-build service that is easy to deploy.
7 > - More performance work on portage.
8 > - Rewrite catalyst.
9 > - Replace repoman with pkgcheck.
10 > - Compile repo format into something less terrible then we have today.
11 > - Replace rsync mirror network with GIT https serving.
12 > - Help arzano build more developer tools on top of p.g.o
15 Again, not intended as criticism, but as one other thing to think
16 about and maybe add to this list.
17
18 Some of these changes are purely back-end and don't impact dev workflow much.
19
20 Some of these changes will or could impact dev workflow. You need to
21 include in these projects the efforts to get the rest of the devs
22 trained/transitioned over to the new way of doing things.
23
24 Right now big changes don't happen very often, so we don't really need
25 to worry about this stuff. If you start commissioning "more developer
26 tools" or "replace repoman with pkcheck" and so-on, then you need to
27 consider that this change impacts the volunteer devs who aren't
28 getting paid to keep up with all the changes.
29
30 How many GSOC projects have come out with some new tool and maybe 5%
31 of the devs use it? Often this is because the tool was built, a short
32 article was written on a blog (maybe), and that was the end of it. We
33 already have lots of tools that I bet 80% of devs don't use to their
34 potential. They have a workflow that sort-of works and they don't
35 spend much time on Gentoo, and in general when we build new tools the
36 docs are pretty minimal, or are more focused around reference than
37 workflow.
38
39 So, if you're going to start commissioning changes you'll want to be
40 careful that the unpaid volunteers don't fall behind. I've seen
41 non-profits do stuff like this and it rapidly segments the org into
42 the 5% of the org that schedules all their meetings M-F 9-5, and the
43 95% unpaid volunteers who become disconnected from all the
44 decision-making and become less involved. The org then backfills
45 their work by hiring more. It initially works because 1 employee
46 probably can do the work of 20 volunteers, but then 95% of the
47 community basically gets relegated to just paying the bills. The
48 crisis happens when the 95% start feeling uninvolved enough that they
49 STOP paying the bills, and then the whole organization collapses. The
50 95% don't stop paying the bills out of resentment - just disinterest.
51 People care more about an org if they actually directly contribute to
52 it.
53
54 I do think it is important to not lose sight of letting the community
55 directly contribute. It helps keep the leadership grounded in what
56 the community wants, and it keeps the community around.
57
58 Again, this isn't a reason to never spend money. You just have to
59 make sure that every time you're spending $1 on some new bit of
60 tooling, you're spending another $1 on keeping everybody else involved
61 in it. That isn't wasted money - it is the cost of staying relevant.
64 Rich