From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Proposal for Trustees: Reflect CoC in Bylaws
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:09:16
1 On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > (Please respond on the gentoo-project list, it gets a lot more traffic
5 > than NFP).
8 Its not my fault no one reads NFP ;p
12 > The Gentoo Foundation bylaws [1] do not presently bind any member to
13 > agreeing to the Code of Conduct.
14 >
15 > I propose that the addition of a new section to the bylaws:
16 > ====
17 > Section 4.11: Responsibilities of Members
18 > All members, trustees and officers of the foundation shall commit
19 > themselves to acting with integrity and respecting the Gentoo Code of
20 > Conduct as a minimum standard.
21 > ====
22 >
23 > For the record, the bylaws include a clause for termination of
24 > membership, by majority vote of trustees. I feel this is sufficient in
25 > addition to the comrel responsibilities and CoC 'Consequences' section,
26 > but would encourage comrel to recommend to the Board the termination of
27 > membership in appropriate cases.
30 The existing bylaw only affords membership termination in the event where a
31 member acts contrary to the purposes of the foundation. If you expect
32 comrel to recommend revocation of membership due to CoC violations then I
33 would prefer this power be granted to the trustees in a more explicit
34 manner than the current wording.
35
36 Its not clear that violating the CoC is "contrary to the purposes of the
37 foundation" because the purposes themselves are also narrowly defined and
38 it may not be feasible to get the votes you expect without a wording change.
44 > [1]
45 > https://web.archive.org/web/20140822043402/http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/BylawsAdopted.xml
46 > The link is broken on the new website.
47 >
48 > --
49 > Robin Hugh Johnson
50 > Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
51 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
52 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85