From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 00:33:15
1 Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
2
3 >> Council, QA and Comrel are effectively the governing bodies of
4 >> Gentoo, enacting and/or enforcing project-wide policy on their own
5 >> accord. The others that you mention have only direct power in a very
6 >> limited area.
7 >
8 > At least for QA this is quite an oversimplified description of the
9 > team's role. Quoting GLEP 48, first bullet point of the specification:
10 > "The QA team's purpose is to provide cross-team assistance in keeping
11 > the tree in a good state. This is done primarily by finding and
12 > pointing out issues to maintainers and, where necessary, taking direct
13 > action."
14 >
15 > The latter is meant in the sense of direct action to the tree (and
16 > even then, overriding maintainers is not the default). The QA team
17 > doesn't have the power to take any direct disciplinary action against
18 > developers.
19
20 Sorry for the long quote, I was unsure if I could cut out anything.
21
22 I am not concerned about times when everyone is cooperating happily, and I
23 think that is also not what williamh had in mind when he made the proposal.
24 The concern is about times when disagreement gets so bad that the Council has
25 to be called to resolve this.
26
27 QA has the power to make new tree policies, and enforce them against
28 maintainers (recent example was banning eblits I think).
29
30 QA is in some ways exempt from rules that apply to normal developers, or can
31 grant such an exception. The shortcuts from the last-riting process for
32 removing packages come to mind.
33
34 > Theoretically, in the case of continuing breakage caused by a dev, QA
35 > could ask ComRel to have that dev's commit access suspended. I cannot
36 > remember any case where such a measure was taken (correct me if I am
37 > wrong).
38 >
39 > So, it appears that QA has teeth but need not use them. ;)
40
41 One incident I recall where a dev was suspended (and then retired) was a
42 python maintainer who caused stable to break several times. ComRel didn't
43 exist back then.
46 Best regards,
47 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn