From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Fwd: [gentoo-project] Question about a installer for Gentoo.
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 02:02:48
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:14:51 Zhu Sha Zang wrote:
3 >
4 >> Em 11-10-2010 10:11, David Abbott escreveu:
5 >>
6 >>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:37 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> On 10/11/10 11:24 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> In summation, IMO the goal of the installer should be to automate and
11 >>>>> not to make it easy for newbies to install Gentoo. With that in mind,
12 >>>>> please someone work on this! :)
13 >>>>>
14 >>>> Which means it doesn't have to be GUI, right? That makes the task much
15 >>>> simpler.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> It would be something like automating stage4, meaning storing the build
18 >>>> settings (/etc/make.conf), the list of packages
19 >>>> (/var/lib/portage/world)... and kicking off the install in one step. Or
20 >>>> something like that.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> Which also means we can do the above step by step. A graphical installer
23 >>>> which does the half of installation and stops is useless. But a tool
24 >>>> that speeds up the manual installation by half is very useful.
25 >>>>
26 >>> agaffney started quickstart, I am not sure of the status;
27 >>> http://agaffney.org/quickstart.php
28 >>>
29 >> Gentoo installer are useless. Please gentoo's developers: Don't waste
30 >> your time with this.
31 >> We don't need Ubuntu's Users in our forums asking nonsense questions to us.
32 >> The first step to rank better our users start in installation a little
33 >> more difficult.
34 >>
35 > that is your opinion. which means you can choose to not have anything to do
36 > with it. but that doesnt mean that other people who find it useful may not
37 > work on it and get things integrated. stuff happens in Gentoo because someone
38 > finds it interesting and makes it work.
39 > -mike
42 When I started this thread, it was because someone that doesn't use
43 Gentoo, doesn't even use Linux, thinks there should be one. The person
44 that wants it is NOT willing to do anything to have one. He just wants one.
45
46 These are the basic questions for me. Is there anyone willing to make a
47 installer that most likely only a few will use? Given this has been
48 tried before, would it even benefit Gentoo to have one?
49
50 My answers, it sounds like some people want one but won't help make one
51 since it is a complex project and a moving target at that. I really
52 don't see the benefit of one myself. Getting through the install gets a
53 person over the learning curve and at least they know a little about
54 Gentoo when they get it installed. I don't care if there is a installer
55 or not but I won't use it if one is made. It seems faster to me to do
56 it manually. That's my opinion or at least part of it.
57
58 Dale
59