From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] William Hubbs council manifesto 2018-2019
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 18:33:00
1 On 17/06/18 19:24, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 2:15 PM M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> completely eradicating the Board, Trustees and Officers such that the day-to-day
4 >> organisational aspects of Gentoo either moves to the Council (*shudders*)
5 > How is this different from making the Council subordinate to the
6 > Trustees? As far as I can tell they're equivalent, except the name of
7 > the position is different. You have one group that has the final say
8 > on everything. Anybody could run to be on that body.
9 >
10 > Or are you more in favor of having two independent bodies with neither
11 > being subordinate to the other? That would be a different structure.
12 >
13 I think it broadly comes down to establishing what the mandate of
14 any/each of the "departments" of Gentoo do, and what (legal)
15 responsibilities they do/do not carry. There are already issues with
16 developers not being able to serve on certain aspects of an
17 organisation, and I think simply pushing those posts around won't solve
18 any of today's difficulties...
19
20 Alec has touched on another issue .. whilst a New Mexico state
21 organisation may have served drobbins in the past, is an equivalent
22 suitable for the Gentoo of today. Many of today's active developers
23 (with no intentional slant) are European based rather than US-based, and
24 perhaps it may be time to consider whether perhaps the eV organisation
25 might be a better 'base' for Gentoo as a distribution. OK, I get that
26 legal defences are stronger in the US, but if there aren't enough active
27 US participants, is this really a sustainable situation worth pursuing?
28 If so, how can we encourage more support in this area, if not, what are
29 our options (thinking as broadly as possible) .. to be as inclusive as
30 possible for the current "workforce" and taking into account the
31 domiciles of recently recruited developers, prospective devs aka. proxy
32 maintainers, etc...