From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 09:34:54
1 >>>>> On Thu, 31 May 2018, Greg KH wrote:
2
3 >> We simply cannot. We have files in the Gentoo repository that are not
4 >> under a free software license, and for these we need an extra clause.
5
6 > Your "extra clause" is pretty odd. You took out the c) clause of the
7 > original DCO for some unknown reason as well, which is going to cause
8 > you big problems.
9
10 No, previous clause (c) has been moved to (d).
11
12 And previous clause (d) is a separate paragraph below the list,
13 because the logical structure of it made no sense before. In the
14 original DCO, "I certify that" refers to items (a) to (c) only,
15 but (d) is separate from it. (So while at it, we have fixed this as
16 well, in order to make the structure consistent with the meaning.)
17
18 > Was this vetted by a lawyer? Again, this is going to cause companies
19 > to have to spend lots of time and money to be able to get anyone to
20 > use this, do not change things lightly.
21
22 Huh? The wording is quite simple, and it won't take anybody with even
23 half a brain more than 2 minutes to figure it out.
24
25 > [...]
26
27 > Are you _sure_ you need this change?
28
29 Pretty sure, yes. The alternative would be to have exceptions to the
30 S-o-b policy, and it would be a nightmare to verify that.
31
32 >> How is it a copyright violation? We create a modified version of
33 >> a document that was released under a Creative Commons Attribution-
34 >> ShareAlike 2.5 License. Distribution of modified versions is
35 >> allowed under this license, and I believe that we include proper
36 >> attribution. Also section 4b of CC-BY-SA-2.5 explicitly allows
37 >> distribution of a modified work under CC-BY-SA-3.0.
38
39 > Fair enough, but please be sure to run the fact that you are
40 > changing something is obviously copyrighted by someone else with a
41 > declaration that it can not be changed, by relying on the wayback
42 > machine to make that change past a copyright lawyer. There is a
43 > reason that the DCO is not under such a license anymore, as this
44 > "respin" proves it :)
45
46 "The CC licenses are irrevocable. This means that once you receive
47 material under a CC license, you will always have the right to use it
48 under those license terms, even if the licensor changes his or her
49 mind and stops distributing under the CC license terms."
50 https://creativecommons.org/faq/
51
52 Plus, if the DCO would be under a non-free license, then by its own
53 terms we won't be able to commit it to our documentation. :) And in
54 fact, also our Social Contract requires our documentation to be under
55 a free license.
56
57 >> > Again, just use the DCO, please.
58 >>
59 >> See above, the simple reason is that we need an exception for license
60 >> files.
61 >>
62 >> Then again, Linux might profit from such a clause too. See for example
63 >> the following commit:
64 >> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/LICENSES/preferred/GPL-2.0?id=255247c2770ada6edace04173b35307869b47d99
65 >>
66 >> The commit message carries two Signed-off-by lines (and a Reviewed-by
67 >> by yourself). But let's look what the document says about its license:
68 >>
69 >> + Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
70 >> + of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
71 >>
72 >> Clearly, this isn't an open source license, because it doesn't allow
73 >> modifications. So I wonder how the committer could certify agreement
74 >> to the DCO 1.1 there?
75
76 > Section b) should cover this nicely.
77
78 Section (b) says "covered under an appropriate free software license",
79 and this condition is obviously not fulfilled.
80
81 > If your lawyers somehow feel it does not, I will be glad to consult
82 > with the LF lawyers about this and have them discuss the matter.
83
84 > Also note that I really doubt that the fact that you can include
85 > verbatim copies of a license in a repo is going to make anyone upset
86 > at all, unless you modify that license text. So you might all be
87 > worried about nothing "real" at all here. License files are not
88 > code, just like documentation is not code, and almost all open
89 > source licenses do not cover either of them well, if at all.
90
91 I agree to all of this, but it is not the question at hand.
92 The question is if a developer can certify a commit of an immutable
93 license file, and I don't see how he could certify it with the
94 original DCO, which unconditionally requires an open source license.
95
96 Also we want people to actually think about what they certify. IANAL,
97 but wouldn't it weaken one's legal position if someone found commits
98 of non-open-source material certified by the original DCO (which
99 requires open source)? Might it not even be taken as a sign that
100 developers add these Signed-off-by lines carelessly?
101
102 > As an armchair thought experiment of this, how would the overall
103 > license of a GNU project's tarball release such as bash, which is
104 > GPLv3, cover the license file of the GPLv3 text that is included in
105 > the tarball?
106
107 GNU projects usually have a license notice in every file. For bash it
108 is GPL-3+ for most of the files, but some (like README or NEWS) are
109 distributed under more relaxed terms, and COPYING allows only its
110 verbatim distribution. So no, GPL-3 doesn't cover its own license
111 text.
112
113 > Would the inclusion of a file in the tarball that is obviously not
114 > under a free software license cause that project's license to
115 > somehow not be "free software"?
116
117 > It's a fun rabit hole to go down, but one that I think you will have
118 > to do on your own :)
119
120 Other distros are aware of the problem, too:
121 https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2018/04/msg00006.html
122
123 Ulrich