From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 00:59:11
1 On Thu, 3 Jul 2014, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2
3 > On 07/03/14 09:47, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >> Am Donnerstag 03 Juli 2014, 07:27:14 schrieb Anthony G. Basile:
5 >>
6 >> >
7 >> > Hi Andreas,
8 >> >
9 >> > <devil's advocate>
10 >> >
11 >> > ComRel has acted in a way that some devs think was "unfair" and they
12 >> > have asked the council to censure comrel. You were one of the people
13 >> > who voted for the allegedly unfair action. In all good conscience, you
14 >> > think it was the right thing to do. How do you vote on the council? Do
15 >> > you criticize comrel or do you uphold their decision?
16 >> >
17 >> > </devil's advocate>
18 >>
19 >> Abstain.
22 > Exactly, so the conflict of interest exists and there is no way to make it go
23 > away. You just maintain your integrity by not entering into it, ie abstain.
24 > The community's confidence in the individual in question is not compromised
25 > and the final decision is respected.
26
27 The potential for "conflict of interests" is the reason any candidate
28 that is a member of ComRel (in the past devrel) gets flagged, so that
29 voters are aware of that. That is the same reason Trustees are flagged.
30 This fear of a ComRel "cabal" in my view seems to have been born of a fear
31 or distrust of some developers, mostly more recent developers, that either
32 don't know or don't understand ComRel and tend to see if as a "old men
33 club" that is "closed" to them. I think it's a pity such a sentiment was
34 born and has grown. I can assure you most of you would absolutely "hate"
35 having to deal with ComRel issues. I don't think there's any other team
36 where one can feel so unwanted and frustrated while trying to do our best
37 for this community.
38 Anyway, I disagree with and will vote against any attempt to prevent
39 election to the Council for being part of any Gentoo team. For those that
40 are confused, nothing prevents a Trstee member from being elected to the
41 Council. It's the Foundation Bylaws that state that if a Trustee is
42 elected to the Council, he / she will have to pick one of the jobs and
43 quit the other.
44 Also, it's "funny" to see the recent (past 2 or 3 years?) concerns with
45 ComRel members in the Council, when I believe we had a Council term with
46 3 DevRel members and at least 1 ComRel member in all Council terms.
47 If you're concerned, don't vote for a ComRel member. I would prefer people
48 voted based on the candidates than just what teams they are members of,
49 but alas, the vote is up to the voter! ;)
50
51 > Anyhow we'll never streamline our governance so that conflicts of interest go
52 > away. We can improve things, but never make them go away.
53 > So we can live with someone on comrel and the council with the caveat that we
54 > remain vigilant for conflicts of interest.
55
56 My comments above were meant to the general thread, not specifically to
57 this email - although you also raise some concerns here.
58
59 Regards,
60
61 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
62 Gentoo Developer
63 (probably seen by some as one of the "old beard"
64 and a former Council, while in ComRel, member)