From: Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 03:21:41
1 On 11/24/18 9:22 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 9:04 PM Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 11/24/18 8:37 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>
6 >> So if it isn't meant to say that gentoo will be looking
7 >> after the legal aspects of a FOSS/Libre-copyleft licensed
8 >> package or document or tool, then what's the purpose to
9 >> put gentoo's name on it?
10 >
11 > You have to put somebody's name in the notice, and it was felt that
12 > "Gentoo Authors" gets the job done. "Gentoo Authors" is not Gentoo.
13 > They are the authors contributing to the ebuild.
14 >
15 >> There's some innuendo and/or implication that copyright
16 >> holders who have their own name listed in a copyright
17 >> notice are intending to do something other than participate
18 >> in FOSS/Libre work, or perhaps may not truly wish to
19 >> contribute in good faith.
20 >
21 > Not at all. The issue is that accumulating names creates clutter, and
22 > create some sense that people who are named are doing more than people
23 > who aren't named, which may lead to more people wanting to be named.
24 >
25 > This is also why the policy allows for an AUTHORS file or use of a
26 > VCS. The intent isn't to deny people credit. It is to provide credit
27 > in a more reasonable manner vs having it spammed on the first lines of
28 > every file in the tree, and try to create a culture where we don't
29 > equate copyright notice with credit or property.
30 >
31 >> Does gentoo have a legitimate reason
32 >> to substitute a gentoo copyright notice in place of an
33 >> otherwise valid notice?
34 >
35 > The GLEP already allows existing works that have a non-Gentoo notice
36 > to keep their notice and add "and others" if there are further
37 > additions if they are brought into Gentoo from outside. This doesn't
38 > mean that we keep adding names to things. This was intended for
39 > things like eudev where we took an entire mature code body and forked
40 > it. This doesn't make as much sense for somebody contributing a 10
41 > line ebuild to a repository containing thousands of ebuilds.
42 >
43 >> Is there an intent to create a sort of gatekeeper role
44 >> within the gentoo organization to request documentation
45 >> if a contributor uses a non-gentoo copyright notice?
46 >
47 > As the GLEP stands developers are already gatekeepers by virtue of
48 > being the only ones with commit access, and being required to sign off
49 > on the DCO. This requires them to be aware of the copyright status of
50 > the works they are committing, but we do not require the accumulation
51 > of documentation. However, the GLEP does not provide for multi-line
52 > notices and the intent isn't to keep accumulating them over time. The
53 > intent was to be able to bring outside stuff in as-is as long as the
54 > notices are reasonable and then just freeze them in time with "and
55 > others" or simplify them with Gentoo Authors if appropriate.
59 Fair point. GLEP 76 even mentions commits in several places.
60
61 [1] From GLEP 76 itself:
62
63 ["This policy documents how Gentoo contributors comply and
64 document copyright for any contributions made to Gentoo."]
65
66 Specifically the section: Copyright Attribution
67
68 ["It must list the main copyright holder, who is usually
69 the original author, or the contributor holding copyright
70 to the largest portion of the file."]
71
72 But then the other section: Simplified Attribution
73
74 ... which contains some guidance for an alternative form:
75
76 ["Alternatively, projects are welcome to use a simplified
77 form of the copyright notice, which reads:"]
78
79 ~ This word "alternatively", strongly implies that the
80 default form should be used unless there is an overly
81 complicated or long list of entities / people who hold
82 copyright ~ at that point I agree with what you said:
83
84 ["... simplify them with Gentoo Authors if appropriate."]
85
86 From a quick glance at bug #670702, I'm noticing there was
87 some confusion about GLEP 76 layout conventions. [2]
88
89 I think the confusing may have partly come from people who
90 are experienced working with some of the better-known metadata
91 formatting styles (for copyright, license, etc.) which is used
92 in other organizations.
93
94 Debian uses some SPDX-styled copyright formatting, along
95 with some other (non-SPDX, possibly in-house) formats.
96 It's an interesting mix, but still well-documented. [3]
97
98 And as for SPDX itself, the full spec is far more exhaustive
99 than anything gentoo or debian is using. Even the one-page
100 summary for SPDX is well-written. Open standards exist, and
101 I'm a fan of this one in particular. [4]
102
103 This wording from GLEP 76 seems unambiguous to me:
104
105 Exceptional circumstances are required for simplified
106 attribution be more appropriate, compared to the default of
107 a proper copyright notice which lists the entity whom held
108 copyright when a contribution was made.
109
110 -- kuza
111
112 [1] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0076.html