From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Trustees <trustees@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Bad license and attribution by ChromiumOS and CoreOS
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 12:09:15
1 On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 3:53 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> Since this is a copy of Gentoo ebuilds this is demonstrably wrong, the
4 >> copyrights on the files themselves are intact. Copyright is obviously
5 >> Gentoo Foundation, and license is GPL-2.
6 >
7 > Thanks for noticing this. Quoting the GPL-2:
8 >
9 > 4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program
10 > except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt
11 > otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is
12 > void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License.
13 >
14 > Does this apply here? It would mean that Google's rights to distribute
15 > the Portage tree have been terminated.
16
17 I'd probably talk to a lawyer before celebrating the death of Google.
18
19 All the copyright notices in the files are intact. As far as I can
20 tell Google hasn't done anything that actually violates the GPL. The
21 only complaint here is that there is a readme file with a different
22 copyright notice inside. The issue is trivially correctable by Google
23 by simply fixing the notice, or clarifying what it applies to. No
24 court is going to prefer permanently terminating Google's rights to
25 distribute ChromeOS over simply letting them clean things up.
26
27 Besides, is the goal of Gentoo really to kill off the #1 used open
28 source desktop OS in the world which is based on Gentoo? That hardly
29 sounds like "Gentoo lives for the community, by the community" as
30 stated in the Foundation's charter. The purpose of our copyrights is
31 to preserve Gentoo so that all can benefit from it, not to club people
32 over the head with if they dare to actually use Gentoo and make a
33 mistake.
34
35 Honestly, I'm a bit concerned by some of the talk in this thread.
36 What kind of message to we want to send to companies or organizations
37 that use Gentoo? Do we really want the message to be "better not slip
38 up, because Gentoo is the kind of group that will get your site taken
39 down on a weekend over a readme file?" Don't get me wrong - I think
40 Google has benefitted a great deal from Gentoo and I'd love to see
41 they contribute back more actively than they already do (we do have
42 people doing 10% time work for Gentoo and we have benefitted from past
43 GSoC).
44
45 How would we want to be treated in the reverse situation? I was
46 annoyed when it seemed like everybody was over-reacting over the eudev
47 copyright notice fiasco. Copyright is complicated, and most people
48 working on software are not lawyers, and since there isn't a ton of
49 open source case law even the lawyers can disagree on where the lines
50 are. When somebody infringes on your copyright the solution is to
51 work with them to fix things, so that the scope of open source
52 software is increased and the public benefits, not to act like the
53 RIAA. Since we are an open community, we make our mistakes in the
54 public light - we should afford the same leniency to others since we
55 WANT others to act as open communities as well.
56
57 I'm sure if we ask Google nicely to clean things up they will. That
58 is the best outcome for the general public, and the best outcome for
59 Gentoo. Remember, we can borrow their code as well, and some of our
60 devs do just that. If we have trouble getting through to them the
61 legal issues would allow us to escalate things, but that can be done
62 in a way that creates opportunities ("hey, while we have you on the
63 phone, did you realize how much you benefit from Gentoo, and are there
64 ways we can better partner to improve things for all of our users?").
65 Why make enemies when we can make friends?
68 Rich