From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:57:01
1 On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 17:05 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 >
3 > It's effectively in a class of its own. So far as I know, it's the only
4 > policy document that's been accepted based upon a global vote.
5
6 Ok, a global vote, that empowered and created the council. Which seems
7 to pass on that global authority under this document to the council.
8 What global matters can the council decide upon? And which ones require
9 all developers to vote? When and where is the line drawn there?
10
11 > What's now called 'GLEP 39' was originally an emailed proposal written
12 > by Grant as one of the things upon which developers could vote, with a
13 > second email from me proposing the slacker clauses merged in.
14 >
15 > The actual proposal voted in by developers was a text file in my ~ on
16 > dev.g.o, which was just Grant's email with my additions.
17
18 Ok, but once it was voted in. Who has global power then? Developers or
19 the council? Who decides upon global decisions?
20
21 > But that wasn't what was voted in.
22
23 Correct, and what was, to my understanding and re-reading the document
24 more times than I care to. Says the council has 100% power over all
25 global matters. Past, present, and future, period. No ifs ands or buts.
26
27 > It says exactly how to go about enforcing it.
28
29 Are they stripped of power? Do the trustees then call for an election?
30 Who decides on global matters in the intern? Simply stating they are to
31 be replaced, and calling for an election is not enforcement. That's
32 partial at best.
33
34 > An election has to be
35 > held within a month of the meeting, in the same way that otherwise the
36 > council has to hold an election once a year.
37
38 That would imply that from day one after missed meeting. We have
39 nominations, etc so that an election can start and proceed within a
40 month. Holding an election, is not starting an election. So if stated an
41 election must be held within a month. That's not a practical time line,
42 since we have a 2+ month election process.
43
44 So what happens over the next 2 months? No council meetings? No council?
45 Do those that are to be replaced still hold office/power?
46
47 > There's nothing about that in the accepted proposal.
48
49 Exactly, so there is nothing saying they do or do not have the power do
50 change that document/policy/glep. Or any other global matter. Even when
51 facing possible punishment and replacement.
54 William L. Thomson Jr.
55 amd64/Java/Trustees
56 Gentoo Foundation