From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:56:08
1 On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > You are focusing on purely financial or tangible gains and attempting to pander law based interpretations of a conflict of interest which are inaccurate. Please, go read and stop spreading false information.
6 Whether Gentoo ought to use the standards for conflict of interest
7 that most organizations and courts use is one matter. Whether or not
8 I'm accurately stating what these standards are is another.
9
10 If you feel that having rendered a judgement on a matter creates a
11 conflict of interest when hearing an appeal I'm certainly interested
12 in citations that support this argument, or documented policies that
13 prohibit these situations in mainstream organizations.
14
15 Wikipedia has a reasonable write-up of what conflict of interest is if
16 you're interested, and it largely agrees with what I'm saying. If you
17 feel otherwise feel free to cite any portion you consider contrary and
18 elaborate, or any other reasonable source.
19
20 I'll go ahead and cite a reasonable summary from the top of the
21 Wikipedia article:
22 A widely used definition is: "A conflict of interest is a set of
23 circumstances that creates a risk that professional judgement or
24 actions regarding a primary interest will be unduly influenced by a
25 secondary interest."[1] Primary interestrefers to the principal goals
26 of the profession or activity, such as the protection of clients, the
27 health of patients, the integrity of research, and the duties of
28 public officer. Secondary interest includes personal benefit and is
29 not limited to only financial gain but also such motives as the desire
30 for professional advancement, or the wish to do favours for family and
31 friends.
32
33 Certainly in a situation where a secondary interest such as the above
34 exists a Council member should both recuse themselves from a Council
35 appeal, and from the original decision in Comrel/QA/whatever, because
36 the interest would be just as much a problem there.
39 Rich