From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-08-12
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 10:35:42
1 On 03/08/14 13:11, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 03 Aug 2014, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> On 03/08/14 11:55, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >>> Do I get this right, you want the eselect module move files
5 >>> installed by a package to another directory, effectively making
6 >>> them orphans?
7 >> Of course it would require a pkg_postrm() phase that cleans up
8 >> possible orphans
9 > Still, this would be very bad design.
10
11 I agree. I'm trying to distance myself from the whole issue, still gets
12 my blood pressure raising how some people behaved... so don't
13 expect too specific answers from me regarding the implementation
14 specifics.
17 >> But mgorny pointed out another solution in this thread, "Wouldn't it
18 >> be better to generate exclude commands in bashrc?"
19 >> And the answer to that would be "yes, of course"
20 > Can you remind me what was wrong with the current method, namely using
21 > symlinks?
22
23 Other than upstream packages checking for existance of directory
24 /usr/share/bash-completion/completions
25 and detemining if they will install the completion files or not, not
26 much else
27 It's just tedious work to need to hack every upstream package to the
28 Gentoo quirks, sort of love the
29 "stick close to upstream as possible" mantra
30 We could keep the old symlink method and just start using
31 /usr/share/bash-completion/completions as
32 a compromise, if that's the conclusion people draw, I have nothing
33 against that
34 As in, the main point was to start using the upstream directories, to be
35 compatible with reverse dependencies
36 out-of-box
37
38 - Samuli