From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:02:05
1 On 08-11-2012 20:46:29 -0300, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > > > Do you suggest to drop the point from the agenda? I'd love that.
3 > >
4 > > I believe we can drop the gen_usr_ldscript question, yes, because if
5 > > everything else happens, we can just have the toolchain guys make it a
6 > > noop on Linux.
7 >
8 > Something simpler and smoother imho is to just have a profile variable
9 > that will make gen_usr_ldscript a noop, whatever CHOST or the kernel is.
10 > New profiles are added with this variable set, wide testing can be done
11 > without forcing anyone, and voila. It is also simpler for maintaining
12 > the various OSes, packages that used to install to / can just be
13 > changed to install to /usr when this variable is set.
14
15 +1
16 That is what we currently do in Prefix. The plan is to enable it for
17 new installs. Just waiting at the moment because we horribly break
18 systems when we change the behaviour of gen_usr_ldscript on an existing
19 system.
20
21 For Gentoo Linux, since I don't run udev (any more) and my systems are
22 servers, I'll never have the need for any of this, so with that approach
23 I could simply keep my system as is, no risks imposed by moving crucial
24 libs around, and no problem for people that want to stabilise udev,
25 GNOME, whatever, since those packages could even be masked.
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level