From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-08-13
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 00:36:21
1 Council members,
2
3 As we all know, the way most linux distros support having /usr on a
4 separate file system from / is via an initramfs. One of these can be
5 built easily in gentoo with dracut, genkernel, or you can build one
6 manually [1].
7
8 In april 2012, the council voted that "separate /usr is a supported
9 configuration". According to a number of people at the time and since
10 then, the intent was to mandate that maintainers must support separate /usr
11 configurations without an initramfs.
12
13 This is the reason for the "sep-usr" use flag in busybox. This use flag
14 is a Gentoo-specific option that drops the busybox static binary in / with a
15 different name (ginit). Then you add init=/ginit on your kernel command
16 line with your boot loader configuration to run this binary which just
17 mounts / and /usr and starts the real init.
18
19 The council never really took a position on how separate /usr is
20 supported, so there are people who use separate /usr with neither of
21 these options and still expect this configuration to work.
22
23 There are significant advantages if we do not require maintainers to
24 support the use of separate /usr configurations without an early boot
25 mechanism like an initramfs or the sep-usr use flag on busybox.
26
27 First, we will not have to worry any more about making sure all of the
28 libraries needed by binaries in /{bin,sbin} are in /lib*. Also, we will
29 not have to be concerned about programs on / trying to read data from
30 /usr/share in early boot.
31
32 Also, the support for separate /usr setups without any kind of early
33 boot mechanism is going to become more complex over time due to the
34 evolution of modern software. Our QA lead has some blog posts on the
35 separate /usr issue and the boot process which discuss these issues in
36 more detail [2] [3]. Another thing to consider is FHS 3 [4]. The division
37 between / and /usr is becoming blurred because any combination of
38 actual directories and symlinks are allowed in /.
39
40 Because of this information, I propose that we vote not to
41 require maintainers to support separate /usr configurations without an
42 initramfs or some other early boot mechanism.
43
44 William
45
46 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/initramfs-guide.xml