From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2016-03-13
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 15:58:03
1 On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 > Rich Freeman schrieb:
4 >>
5 >> I think the intent is to get stuff like this into PMS or change it,
6 >> not to just start breaking things arbitrarily.
7 >
8 > That interpretation is a bit at odds with the wording "We introduce a hard
9 > deadline when all this should be fixed."
12 I'll let Andreas comment on his intent there. I'm not sure how a
13 deadline could actually work. If we know about an issue today,
14 setting a deadline won't really make anybody resolve it faster. If we
15 judge that treecleaning the affected packages wouldn't be a big
16 problem we could always set a deadline and then treeclean, but
17 obviously if it is a toolchain package that isn't going to work.
18 Long-term, if an issue comes up in a critical package we can't just
19 say that it is after the deadline and therefore it is fine for package
20 managers to break it the next day.
21
22 This is the reality with anything concerning specifications. If the
23 software doesn't do what the specs say, it is definitely a bug, but it
24 isn't always a bug with the software. That's why we pay humans to
25 deal with these kinds of problems, and we pay the people who deal with
26 them well a lot more.
29 Rich