From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 00:09:42
1 On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 11:53:46AM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > > However, I do think that in the end other distros do take measures to
3 > > deal with people who they feel cause trouble, even if it isn't
4 > > technical in nature. I suspect that many distros go as far as booting
5 > > people.
6 > I do not think any has the history of such as does Gentoo. It would be
7 > interesting to see or learn. I believe the others also do what they can to
8 > mitigate and resolve issues amicably.
9 Yes, other distributions do go as far to boot troublesome people, both
10 technical and interpersonal, and it's been just as messy as Gentoo. I
11 know of some events, but I'm certain this is just a small sampling of
12 the events (high visibility and low). As you read below, you're really
13 going to want some popcorn. Even prior to having documents explicitly
14 titled with "Code of Conduct", the organizations did have some manner of
15 policies in place (FreeBSD esp.)
16
17 Debian's equivalent of DevRel is the "Account Maintainers", which, at
18 least a decade ago were significantly more of a "cabal" to those looking
19 for conspiratorial plots. I know of at least 4 Debian maintainers
20 ejected from the project.
21
22 FreeBSD's "core" has the devrel role, and has also been accused of
23 similar lack of transparency. Two high-visibility ejections are further
24 detailed below.
25
26 Debian:
27 In 2006, came the conclusion of the Debian events with "krooger" (Ted
28 Walther / Jonathan Walther). I met him in 2004, as part of a keysigning
29 event. His Debian Project Leader election platforms of 2005 & 2006 are
30 notable reading [including the proposal to reform Debian's New
31 Maintainer process, by requiring active developers renew-by-retesting].
32 In the DPL 2005 election, he was the first person to ever rank below
33 "None of the above", which says a lot about how he was viewed by other
34 Debian Maintainers.
35
36 I met him again, via social circles, a few years ago, and at the time,
37 he was still sure there was a long-term grudge against him, from
38 inflammatory remarks he made in in the early 2000s, which he felt
39 contributed to his in-person expulsion from Debian during DebConf06 (the
40 expulsion message was originally posted to debian-private, but leaked
41 onto the internet). After the expulsion, he left tech for a few years
42 (studied non-tech things), had a small tech business, followed other
43 non-tech business.
44
45 Debian does have some cleaner developer removals as well: krooger
46 mentioned two of them [1], because somebody asked him during the DPL
47 election about who he'd eject from Debian. The other one that I'm aware
48 of, is Lars Wirzenius (liw), who admitted [2] that he was kicked out of
49 Debian for insulting somebody, and later re-admitted.
50
51 FreeBSD:
52 In 2003, Dillon was kicked out FreeBSD, and the public postings [3]
53 about it noted his "interdeveloper relation skills". FreeBSD at the time
54 had "The FreeBSD Committers' Big List of Rules" [4], which while not
55 explicitly labeled as a Code of Conduct in themselves, were already
56 referred to as such, and do explicitly mention penalties. (P.S. Dillon
57 forked FreeBSD after being kicked out).
58
59 Much more recently, you can look at FreeBSD & Randi Harper, wherein
60 FreeBSD gained an explicit CoC, and various legal remarks were made
61 usage of the FreeBSD trademark. Publicly messy event, but key decisions
62 by FreeBSD core were still not made transparently.
63
64 [1] http://debian.2.n7.nabble.com/Candidate-questions-expulsions-process-tp2329145p2329158.html
65 [2] http://blog.liw.fi/posts/dd20/
66 [3] https://slashdot.org/comments.pl?cid=5219480&sid=52722&tid=7
67 [4] http://web.archive.org/web/20031214041942/http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/rules.html
70 Robin Hugh Johnson
71 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
72 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
73 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
74 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136