From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-foundation-announce] Gentoo Foundation Inc - Ballot
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:25:10
1 On 2009.11.24 02:47, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > The Gentoo Foundation Inc. has been approached by a few large
6 > > Gentoo users about purchasing advertising on the gentoo.org side
7 > > bar. They are not in the IT industry so cannot support us in the
8 > > traditional way, by donating their own product.
9 > >
10 > > The trustees anticipate that more approaches of this nature will be
11 > > received and view it as a sign of Gentoo maturing.
12 > >
13 > > Recognising that this would be a break with tradition, by allowing
14 > > even major users to contribute to Gentoo in this way the trustees
15 > > determined to put the question to a vote of Foundation members.
16 > >
17 > > The recording date for the vote will be 29th November. To vote,
18 > > your Foundation membership must be approved on or before that date.
21 > > Voting will be from 1 December to 11 December, to enable the result
22 > > to be available for the next Trustee meeting on 13 December.
23 > >
24 > > The motion to be voted on will be Should major Gentoo users be
25 > > permitted to purchase ads on the sidebar - Vote yes or No
26 >
27 > Roy,
28 >
29 > are there any "limits" to the type of advertisements that the
30 > Foundation will permit? I expect that the Trustees will do some
31 > filtering regardless, but are we going to create a "policy" on the
32 > type of advertisements that are to be permitted?
33
34 The intention is to leave that to the trustees to determine on a case
35 by case basis. A present, we only have applications from companies in
36 the Financial sector who use Gentoo for their operations, so there
37 will be little or no immediate change. We already have such a side bar
38 advert from a Financial company that donates in the conventional way.
42 > > The trustees recommend that the motion on the ballot is supported.
45 > > On behalf of the Gentoo Foundation Inc.
48 > Although I consider this to be a significant change, I hope it won't
49 > affect Gentoo's spirit, that it may help foster support for Gentoo
50 > and
51 > that we can make the best use of these resources for our community.
52 >
53 I think it is a case of companies who have benefited from Gentoo
54 wanting to give something back in a way that benefits both parties. We
55 really need to make this sort of thing easier for them. That's what
56 the vote is about.
57
58 It won't change Gentoos spirit - Gentoo will continue to be a community
59 distro. It will make more resources available to allow the Foundation
60 to help Gentoo grow.
63 > --
64 > Regards,
65 >
66 > Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
67 > Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE
70 Foundation resources will continue to be available in the way they are
71 now. By application to the trustees.
74 Regards,
75
76 Roy Bamford