From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 19:23:52
1 On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 05:16:48AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > 1. I don't think we ought to be giving more power to the Foundation
3 > until the Foundation membership is re-aligned with the distro
4 > developer membership. We essentially have two democratic
5 > organizations with overlapping but different constituencies, and I'm
6 > not sure Gentoo could survive if they start trying to pull the distro
7 > in different directions since the community seems like it is barely
8 > above critical mass as it is.
9 Responded to this in a new thread.
10
11 > 2. The Foundation needs to focus first and foremost on keeping the
12 > lights on. Right now there are 10 periodic activities that the
13 > Foundation needs to perform to be in compliance with the law/etc, and
14 > according to the public records of the Foundation we're current on 6
15 > of them. Not all are equally important, and maybe we're just bad at
16 > recordkeeping, but it isn't a great sign. (
17 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Activity_Tracker )
18 Record keeping mainly here. The only thing NOT up to date is our IRS 990
19 filing, because we're waiting for response from the IRS.
20
21 > 3. I've yet to see any evidence that Comrel has actually done
22 > anything wrong. In recent days I've seen one appeal, in which there
23 > was seen some need to improve things, but the conclusion was that they
24 > basically came to the right decision. If developers don't trust the
25 > judgement of the Council on this they can always vote in a new
26 > Council, but unless they elect people who are out to get rid of comrel
27 > for the sake of doing so I am skeptical that they would come to a
28 > different conclusion. Unfortunately I can't talk about all the
29 > allegations for those involved. We also have an active thread where
30 > somebody is complaining about Comrel but refuses to actually appeal,
31 > and has commented in the thread that he thinks it is unlikely that his
32 > appeal would be successful.
33 >
34 > I think there is room for improvement here, but I think it would be a
35 > mistake to do something drastic.
36 I agree that the present council & comrel are unlikely to change the
37 outcome, but feel the room for improvement is mostly to be found in
38 recording that the processes in place are actually being followed, and
39 that the actions are well-recorded. The sensitive nature of the records
40 & actions means the Foundation may have legal obligations to securely
41 store them, but also ensure they are not lost from the institutional
42 memory.
43
44 For a real world example, if a HR department fired somebody, I would
45 expect them to have the organization securely retain records to prove
46 why, for some period stipulated in their local laws.
49 Robin Hugh Johnson
50 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
51 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
52 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
53 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136