From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] EAPI bump should require revbump
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 21:02:36
1 On 25.10.2012 16:16, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
5 > Also please post these things
6 >> to gentoo-dev mailing list next time. This mailing list is for
7 >> project wide non technical issues.
10 > It was suggested to me to post here because #1) it's a policy
11 > discussion rather than a technical one, and #2) it reaches a bigger
12 > audience as many devs have tuned out to gentoo-dev@ ..
15 My educated guess is that most of those who are tuned out of gentoo-dev
16 don't follow this mailing list either. Last time we looked at
17 subscription numbers gentoo-project had less people than gentoo-dev.
18 Those who suggested you to post here didn't know our mailing list
19 policies. Granted it's not always easy to know where to post. Discussing
20 technical policies belongs to gentoo-dev. Especially in matters like
21 these that concern the Portage tree.
24 > As for your previous statement -- I was not aware of a policy that
25 > excludes EAPI bumps from occurring on stable packages. This would
26 > certainly suffice to alleviate the original concerns and probably be
27 > more effective as a policy than always requiring revbump on EAPI change.
30 There's a general policy that one should refrain from changing the logic
31 for ebuilds marked stable. EAPIs so far haven't introduced features that
32 would require being urgently but to stable.
33
34 regards,
35 Petteri