From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Expanding Foundation Bylaws, section 4.9 Termination from Membership
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 14:23:41
1 On 18-02-09 09:04:19, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Fri, 9 Feb 2018, Daniel Robbins wrote:
3 >
4 > [Please don't top-post.]
5 >
6 > > You are using hyperbole. A majority vote of trustees is required.
7 > > That is not haphazard, as you state -- it is a process that requires
8 > > majority consensus of elected officials. We assume that the trustees
9 > > are looking out for the project. The trustees are there to protect
10 > > the community so they must have this ability.
11 >
12 > I don't disagree with this. Still, trustees should not be able to
13 > exclude a member without a reason, and they should communicate that
14 > reason (not necessarily in public, but at least to the excluded
15 > member).
18 The goal of keeping it open is to remove (as much as we can) the
19 possibility of recourse (legal or otherwise). In practice I think we'd
20 tend to communicate with the community, but there are times where we may
21 need to keep something more private. I don't want to write ourselves
22 into a corner where we HAVE to do something one way, or if something is
23 not listed as a reason to kick someone we can't get rid of them (we
24 missed something).
27 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)