From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting on 2022-02-13
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 16:40:26
1 On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 08:46:13AM -0500, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 09:41:06AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Then you should repackage the vendored libs into a single small tarball,
4 > > so it's much more efficient in every possible way. At this point, these
5 > > thousands-of-tiny-distfiles waste bandwidth, space, time and practically
6 > > cause parallel-capable emerge to hang.
7 >
8 > Seconding this when licenses allow redistribution and amount of files
9 > is non-trivial.
10 >
11 > See app-containers/cosign for one Go vendor tarball example.
12 >
13 > I think manifest size for these small files is furthermore getting a
14 > bit big while being kept by every Gentoo users. We try to keep things
15 > like patch files under 20kB but the Manifests are getting over 500kB.
16 > (...could be nearly halved if didn't keep two hashes, but guess that
17 > ship has sailed).
18
19 I hope vendor tarballs are a temporary solution.
20 The down side of them is duplicate data across vendor tarballs. In other
21 words, the vendor tarball for cosign could include data that is in other
22 vendor tarballs and there is no way to prevent that.
23
24 The best solution would be to have a src_fetch_extra phase like I
25 mentioned earlier in the thread. If I had that ability, the cosign
26 ebuild would look like this. Note that the src_fetch_extra function
27 would be in the go-module eclass not the cosign ebuild so the ebuild
28 would be smaller still.
29
30 Thanks,
31