From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:43:47
1 On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 9:26 AM Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:40:38 PM PST Matt Turner wrote:
6 > > > On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > > - Disk usage for git vs rsync
8 > > >
9 > > > This is why I have not switched. With git you pull down increasing
10 > > > amounts of history, whereas with rsync the data fits easily in a <1GB
11 > > > partition.
12 > >
13 > > Recent portage can use sync-depth = 1
14 > > repo dir no longer grows as it used to and it's works fine unlike initial
15 > > implementation that was giving trouble
16 > >
17 > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/552814
18 > >
19 > > du -hs /var/db/repos/gentoo
20 > > 350M /var/db/repos/gentoo
21 > >
22 > > example /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf :
23 > > [DEFAULT]
24 > > main-repo = gentoo
25 > >
26 > > [gentoo]
27 > > auto-sync = yes
28 > > location = /var/db/repos/gentoo
29 > > sync-type = git
30 > > sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
31 > > sync-depth = 1
32 > > sync-git-clone-extra-opts = -b master
33 > > sync-git-verify-commit-signature = true
36 > > sync is almost instantaneous compared to rsync, but some folks not going to
37 > > like github as a mirror in this case.
38
39 Would I be correct to say they won't need github if they use infra's
40 own native anongit server?
41
42 > Thanks for the information. That seems to work great!