From: Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Question for 2020 council candidates: Dev recruitment status
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 13:11:42
1 Hello,  Joonas
2
3 On 28.06.2020 14:43, Joonas Niilola wrote:
4 > This is the yearly repeating question: How do you view the current
5 > recruitment status in Gentoo?
6 >
7 > In your opinion...
8 >  - are we getting enough new devs on board?
9 No
10 >  - does the current recruitment system work?
11 Clarification needed. Do we define "recruitment" as a period of time
12 between quizzes submission  and the final decision, or do we also
13 include mentoring period?
14 The hardest part of the entire process is mentoring.
15 It is really _hard_ to find a mentor. Very little amount of people
16 want to devote their time on teaching, even less do it with
17 great enthusiasm. From my  very personal observations
18 the more time a mentee spends with a mentor the less time
19 a recruiter spends to finish the review.
20 >  - can the current devbase handle "everything" (we have a lot of
21 > low-manned projects)? If not, how could council aid in?
22 We could do much better, that is for sure.
23
24 >  - why do we have hundreds of contributors who'll never become devs? (is
25 > there a problem in "marketing", or is the recruitment process too hard,
26 > or something else?)
27 Some people consider quizzes difficult, overall, I have already explained
28 before why quizzes are like that. I could only repeat myself, but
29 I guess you know the answer (not sure if I must bring this up to the thread
30 again). Apart from that, proxied contributions are easier
31 to conduct and a proxied person takes much less responsibility.
32
33 >  - should council stay away from this topic, and leave every decision to
34 > recruiters? (If I remember correctly, recruiters project were dropped to
35 > 1 person because they had internal issues deciding how to handle future
36 > recruitment). I'm also asking this because I have a suggestion to renew
37 > recruitment process a bit. Should I post my suggestion to -core for
38 > every dev to see, -project for everyone to see, or contact recruiters
39 > who can silently approve/disapprove/modify my suggestion, without anyone
40 > else knowing what I suggested?
41
42 The entire story was based on the opinion of a single council member
43 who suddenly decided not to contact recruiters before posting anything
44 to the - core ml. I guess this was explained very well by gokturk.
45
46 If you are interested in helping out, consider this my reply an invitation
47 to become a recruiter.
48 > [..]
49 > -- juippis