From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 16:35:55
1 Current bylaws state that to become a member you need to petition the
2 trustees for membership to the foundation. What verification is done by
3 trustees is up in the air. Members also seem to be members for life
4 unless they remove themselves are are removed by a vote of the trustees.
5
6 I suggest we use and/or modify the existing staff quiz for use as a
7 guide for who to admit, as 'graded' by trustees. I also suggest that
8 some for of positive acknowledgement that they will adhere to the CoC
9 would be helpful as well.
10
11 Now, some have floated the idea that the foundation membership is
12 somewhat defunct, and that may be the case. Personally I think it
13 should be reaffirmed each year (or some other time period that is agreed
14 upon). But to 'clean' it up I think we should ask the existing members
15 to at least agree to the CoC, and possibly also be staff.
16
17 It's also been suggested that the foundation (active) membership is
18 waning, so once / if we decide on an update to the membership policy I
19 think we should mail the lists petitioning for memebers (-dev -project
20 and maybe some others)
21
22 The above would be an update to the bylaws and I want feedback before I
23 propose it as an update.
26 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)