From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:29:30
1 hasufell wrote:
2 > Matthew Thode wrote:
3 > > hasufell wrote:
4 > >> Gentoo has a social contract [1] which makes a lot of noise about
5 > >> free software. However our default settings allow to use almost
6 > >> any kind of non-free license such as "all-rights-reserved".
7 > >>
8 > >> While I see nothing wrong with gentoo providing proprietary stuff
9 > >> (and I have created a lot of such games ebuilds), I think
10 > >> according to our philsophy and social contract we should make
11 > >> people aware of free software and because of that also change the
12 > >> default to:
13 > >>
14 > >> ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
15 > >>
16 > >> This is only about the _default_. We will have to change the
17 > >> handbook at "1.d. Licenses" [2] and might also make a news item.
18 > >>
19 > > This is what I thought the default license group already was, I'm
20 > > all for it :D
21 >
22 > The default is currently:
23 >
24 > ACCEPT_LICENSE:"* -@EULA"
25 >
26 > in /usr/share/portage/config/make.globals
27
28 This is reasonable, but can we have the above old-default commented out in make.conf,
29 above the new setting? That way things are transparent, and users who want to switch
30 to using non-free can do so easily without the EULA stuff being pulled in, aiui it
31 would be if users simply put "*" in there.
32
33 After all, as you yourself wrote about:
34 > adding a line such as: ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
35 ..users are likely to reach for that by default, too, when they shouldn't accept
36 @EULA generically, but via package.license.
37
38 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
39 > Also this would affect the kernel sources when deblobbing is disabled.
40 >
41 > I am not against this move, but this will require a lot of effort in
42 > educating users about the consequences.
43
44 Presumably stages have been built, and machines installed using just @FREE? I'd just
45 like assurance that these "consequences" are known not to affect a standard desktop
46 install, or that this will be tested thoroughly before the switch, in which case it
47 is not, one would hope, imminent.
48
49 Regards,
50 steveL
51 --
52 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)