From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: List/Gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Improvements to the About Gentoo page
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:42:31
1 Hello list,
2
3 It was referred in a discussion at gentoo-core that the Gentoo's about
4 page was needing some improvements. In special, the Larry the Cow image
5 which is taking too much space and has rendered text on it.
6
7 I've been working in a improved version [1] which tries to address the
8 following topics:
9
10 1) What is Gentoo for more technical people?
11 2) What is Gentoo for newbies?
12 3) Why migrate at all to Gentoo?
13
14 Gentoo's about page should be an appealing page and possibly an entropy
15 point for future Gentoo users, so we should not overestimate the
16 importance of it.
17
18 I am now starting a discussion at this list looking for other opinions,
19 suggestions or criticism regarding the proposed version [1] which
20 already includes ideas from other developers, namely Paweł Hajdan, Roy
21 Bamford, Jorge Vicetto and Christian Faulhammer. I thank them for their
22 suggestions.
23
24 For starting, are there any ideas for a better phrase which invites
25 people to use Gentoo? In the proposal there is:
26 "At one point we all were new to Gentoo and learned about it, now it
27 is your turn."
28 A developer expressed that the phrase is weird and I agree.
29
30 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~miknix/about.xml
31
32 Thanks all,