From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 00:03:18
1 On 03/27/2012 12:23, Zac Medico wrote:
2
3 >> 2b) If one does not want to use an initramfs, one must use mdev
4 >
5 > I'd leave option 2b undocumented. It's fragile and it will only work up
6 > until something else breaks, and then we'll have another big "OMG they're
7 > forcing us to use an initramfs" discussion and have to update the
8 > documentation again.
11 Not undocumented, but with a link to this Wiki entry:
12 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
13
14 And a BIG FAT WARNING that it's risky, and only suitable for extremely
15 simple system builds. It works fine for me on my main dev box and a VM.
16 I'll know how it works on MIPS when I get that machine properly updated.
17
18 Doesn't mean it'll work for everyone, but we're about choice, and we should
19 at least put a mention in, even if it's a choice that will be rarely taken.
22 Joshua Kinard
23 Gentoo/MIPS
24 kumba@g.o
25 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
26
27 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
28 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
29
30 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic