From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Setting a consistent vocabulary for ebuild-related stuff
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:45:29
1 On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 15:28:06 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Since Gentoo is quite an aging technical community, a lot of wording
5 > has accumulated to describe various ebuild-related aspects, some of it
6 > rather confusing and/or outdated. Therefore, I would like to suggest
7 > that we establish some 'proper' vocabulary for use in official
8 > documentation, and deprecate some of the outdated concepts.
9
10 The area I find brings the most confusion is keywording.
11
12 Specific keywords are sometimes referred to as archs, even though they
13 are not really architectures in the general sense. Targets might be a
14 better word.
15
16 I've seen "masked" used to describe both ~ keywords and what we
17 sometimes refer to as "hard masked". I'd rather refer to ~ keywords as
18 unstable to keep the concepts separated.
19
20 Even the verb "keywording" can be confusing, does it mean adding
21 initial ~ keywords or marking existing keywords stable? It probably
22 means either and therefore we should avoid using that word.
25 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
26 Gentoo Linux Developer