From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 04:28:05
1 On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 05:42:06PM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 09/11/16 17:35, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > On Monday, November 7, 2016 9:02:15 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 8:43 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
5 > >>
6 > >> <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
7 > >>> Seems like all devs should have access to Gentoo's github at least with
8 > >>> regard to handling PR's. All devs have commit access thus all should have
9 > >>> access via Github as well.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Maybe something added to the process of adding a new developer.
12 > >> Use of github is purely voluntary. We couldn't create github accounts
13 > >> anyway, we'd have to ask devs to sign up for their own.
14 > > Likely many have them already and could be handled at recruitment time.
15 It IS already handled at recruitment time. I explicitly noted in my
16 response that some of the Recruiters have suitable admin bits to add
17 newly recruited developers to the 'gentoo' Organization in GitHub.
18
19 It's documented in the Recruiters process as well:
20 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#For_setting_up
21
22 > > Rather
23 > > than having to do after the fact. Which I assume one requests such via a bug
24 > > request to infra. Not sure that is documented anywhere.
25 If the recruit did not have a GitHub account beforehand, or they are a
26 pre-existing developer, they do just file a bug to get it done.
27
28 > The current processes do not make use of the GitHub repository directly
29 > - contributors may send pull requests, but in fact the changes are made
30 > to the git.g.o tree -first- and force-pushed BACK to github, and NOT the
31 > reverse. For this reason, devs do not have commit rights to GitHub..
32 > only to the git.g.o tree. There are a select couple of contacts who have
33 > admin to the GH, and purely for discussion/group access control.
34 This is correct for the repo at github.com/gentoo/gentoo/, but that's
35 not the only repo at GitHub.
36
37 To be more specific, membership in the 'gentoo' GH organization does NOT
38 confer rights to merge PRs in the GH web interface for the
39 github.com/gentoo/gentoo/ repo.
40
41 There are a few basic workflows to chose from, and projects can choose
42 what they want:
43 a) single-master on git.g.o server:
44 eg github.com/gentoo/gentoo:
45 - direct commits to GitHub by developers NOT accepted.
46 - PRs submitted, but not merged via GH webUI.
47 - Merged to git.g.o/ trees first, and mirrored BACK to GitHub.
48 - ~10 repos use this model so far.
49 b) multi-master:
50 eg github.com/gentoo/netifrc:
51 - PRs submitted, sometimes merged via GH WebUI, but always
52 immediately merged to the git.g.o/proj/netifrc, to avoid divergent
53 history.
54 - direct commits to GH accepted.
55 c) single-master on github:
56 eg github.com/gentoo/puppet-portage:
57 - PRs accepted.
58 - Generally mirrored to git.g.o.
59 - Mainly for repos that are forks of non-Gentoo codebases, so that
60 our changes are clearly visible to the external communities (eg GH
61 fork browser).
62 - useful for external contributors.
65 Robin Hugh Johnson
66 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
67 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
68 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
69 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136