From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - council meeting 2020-03-08
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 11:57:53
1 On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 19:59 -0800, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > on 2020-03-08, the Gentoo council will meet at
5 > 19:00 UTC in the #gentoo-council channel on freenode.
6 >
7 > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
8 > or vote on.
9
10 Following the discussion within the QA team, I'd like to ask the Council
11 to clarify whether EAPI 4 ban applies to revision bumps as a result of
12 dependency changes?
13
14 I think the key point in banning EAPIs is that the maintainer (or
15 generally, someone caring about the package in question) should be
16 responsible for the EAPI bump. I don't think anybody should be forced
17 to do that when in middle of large batch of changes (read: when I only
18 touch the package because it's blocking me).
19
20 In this particular case, I'm thinking of revbumps due to dependency
21 changes. Say, if I do a change in a dependency *I* maintain, and have
22 to fix a large number of revdeps, I don't think it's fair to expect me
23 to EAPI-bump some packages I don't maintain. The main difference is
24 that we're talking of dep change + revbump that can be linted via
25 pkgcheck/repoman vs. EAPI bump that needs full scale testing.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny