From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 20:15:06
1 On Sun, 11 Feb 2018, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > The council can't make this change since it is a glep 39 change, so I am
6 > bringing it to the community for discussion -- I assume there would need
7 > to be a full dev vote to make it happen.
8
9 I agree such a change would need to be done through a global developer
10 vote.
11
12 > I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
13 > actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have felt
14 > this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the full
15 > council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
16 >
17 > As a member of the council who would be affected by this, if it passes
18 > and I run and am elected to council again, I would have no problem with
19 > stepping down from QA.
20
21 I disagree with this proposal.
22 I don't agree with the idea that a developer that is member of a project,
23 won't be able to have a fresh look on an issue when that is appealed to
24 the council.
25 Also, I think these type of issues are best left to the electorate than to
26 be set as "rules in stone".
27 FTR, I've disagreed since it was proposed, with the restriction in
28 the bylaws of the Foundation that forbids anyone from serving at the same
29 time in the council and in the Foudation. I've always felt that should
30 have been left to the electorate.
31
32 > Attached is a patch for glep 39 which will make this change.
33 >
34 > Thoughts?
35 >
36 > William