From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: chutzpah@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 06:20:51
1 On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 8:51 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 06:38:45PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 3:12 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 09:20:52AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
7 > > > > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 06:04:00PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
8 > > > > > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
9 > > > > >
10 > > > > > The GLEP says about the "Simplified Attribution":
11 > > > > >
12 > > > > > > Projects using this scheme must track authorship in a VCS, unless they list all authors of copyrightable contributions in an AUTHORS file.
13 > > > > >
14 > > > > > Would it be acceptable on your side to be listed in the AUTHORS file
15 > > > > > (which as far as I know has not been created yet)?
16 > > > >
17 > > > > I will get this answer today once I get to the office.
18 > > > >
19 > > > > There was also talk about adding a tag to commits that listed the
20 > > > > copyright holder for that commit but it never went anywhere. I would
21 > > > > propose something like:
22 > > > >
23 > > > > Copyright: <copyright notice>
24 > > >
25 > > > Putting the copyright notice in the commits might be the way to do this.
26 > > > If that's what we want, I suggest something like my example above.
27 > > >
28 > > > > > I'd be perfectly happy to ship an AUTHORS file in the ebuild repo that
29 > > > > > contains the names and emails of everyone and every company that has
30 > > > > > contributed to the repo.
31 > > > >
32 > > > > We probably should do this anyway and ship the AUTHORS file as part of
33 > > > > the rsync repository. You don't need it for the git repo since the
34 > > > > information is available via VCS.
35 > > >
36 > > > The AUTHORS file will contain AUTHORS, not copyright holders. Usually
37 > > > they are the same, but not always.
38 > >
39 > > Let me try to explain what I'm suggesting.
40 > >
41 > > As I understand it, the Simplified Attribution, which looks like
42 > >
43 > > | Copyright YEARS Gentoo Authors
44 > >
45 > > is like a pointer to the AUTHORS file, indicating that those listed
46 > > hold copyright on things in this repo.
47 > >
48 > > I'm suggesting that in lieu of listing copyright holders explicitly in
49 > > each file (which as we've discussed is a pain, inaccurate, and
50 > > requires tedious maintenance) that we list copyright holders in the
51 > > AUTHORS file and use the Simplified Attribution nearly exclusively.
52 >
53 > Do you mean the way it is suggested here without the discussion of the
54 > CLA since we do not use a CLA?
55 >
56 > https://opensource.google.com/docs/releasing/authors/
57 >
58 > That would also mean we don't have to list everyone, just those
59 > copyright holders who wish to be listed.
60
61 That's a great description. Yes, that's what I mean. Thanks for the link!