From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: jer@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call For Agenda Items - 13 May 2014
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 17:18:44
1 On Sun, 11 May 2014 18:51:46 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 11 May 2014 16:14:20 +0200
5 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > 4) explicitly choose not to bitch at all or escalate to ComRel;
8 >
9 > What does that mean?
10
11 See point (4) in the redacted feedback below.
12
13 > Does it ever happen to you that you think "choosing to bitch" is the
14 > right solution?
15
16 See point (4) in your specific quote above.
17
18 > And what is "escalating to ComRel"? It sounds painfully like any
19 > ComRel (re)solution would result in people getting booted from the
20 > project or severely restricted in volunteering their work, if not
21 > simply unwilling to do so under technically imposed restrictions
22 > (from QA or the Council).
23
24 Exactly, and such escalations happen too often; to both ComRel and QA,
25 to some extent this even happens to the Gentoo Council too.
26
27 > > ... but in response I get ...
28 >
29 > [lots of negative feedback]
30 >
31 > > 14) "TomWij is improving qa, didn't you notice? ;)".
32 > >
33 > > Do people really expect QA to be communicative, be motivated and
34 > > work?
35 >
36 > Of course we do, but are you sure you're tackling this problem the
37 > right way? I haven't looked into this, but from your quotations and
38 > from random comments on IRC I get the sure feeling you are perhaps
39 > pushing people too hard, or at the least rubbing them the wrong way.
40
41 Can you also consider that people are pushing QA too hard, or rubbing
42 the QA team the wrong way? Action, reaction; there are two sides to it.
43
44 > There is no hierarchy that puts QA above developers - you work with
45 > volunteers and they are all trying their best to get things fixed,
46
47 Did someone state there to be such hierarchy?
48
49 > even when this isn't immediately obvious to you or when the best
50 > solution doesn't immediately present itself.
51
52 What does that mean? What is non obvious? Why a solution?
53
54 > And when you decide to force issues through policies, you find that
55 > you don't actually have the resources to do that,
56
57 What is this even about? Has something been forced? Which resources?
58
59 > unless you are prepared to drive out the volunteers you expected to
60 > start "fixing" things. Are matters of "policy" the carrot or the
61 > stick?
62
63 Given that you haven't looked into the case, I'm not sure why you can
64 claim such statements; in matters like these, the "policy" is the clue.
67 With kind regards,
68
69 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
70 Gentoo Developer
71
72 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
73 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
74 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D