From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 03:07:33
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:40 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday, October 3, 2016 6:12:16 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> 1. How do we reconcile the differing membership of the developer and
6 >> Foundation communities?
7 >
8 > In most other projects, the foundation/board controls the direction of
9 > development. Best examples are Gnome and FreeBSD, maybe Debian.
10
11 That is nice, but I didn't talk about reconciling the boards, but the
12 membership: the people voting for the boards. There are devs who
13 aren't Foundation members, and there are Foundation members who aren't
14 devs. The former is easy to handle (devs can juts apply to become
15 members). The latter is harder to handle (do we start automatically
16 kicking members as soon as they're no longer developers? If not, you
17 now have a distro whose direction has more outside control by people
18 who don't necessarily have the same stake in it.
19
20 >> 2. If only one body is ultimately in charge, what kinds of qualities
21 >> do we want in its leadership? Ultimately they'd have authority over
22 >> both technical and financial concerns (in reality, no matter what you
23 >> put on paper). Does it make more sense to elect a financial board and
24 >> have them have oversight over the technical side? Or does it make
25 >> sense to have a technical board, and have them have oversight of the
26 >> financial side? Or do we go for both in one (which means finding
27 >> people who are both competent and interested in dealing with both)? I
28 >> think the reality is that you need both in one to some degree, since
29 >> all issues would ultimately fall on them.
30 >
31 > Typically finances follow development. In other projects like Gnome board
32 > members tend to be businesses. Which I assume if they agree with direction
33 > help provide further funding.
34
35 Again, that doesn't really speak to the qualities of the leadership.
36
37 Should a board member be good at legal stuff (so that the lawsuits and
38 such you speak of don't happen)? Or should they be better at
39 technical stuff (since they have the power to override everybody else
40 on technical matters? Or do we need people who want to do both? Will
41 both areas get the proper attention when people's efforts are divided
42 across them, vs having a group of people whose only job is to ensure
43 the IRS is happy and that we're following the law, and so on? If
44 you're concerned that either the Council or the Trustees aren't doing
45 their job right, then splitting the effort of one board across both
46 areas is hardly going to improve things, since there is no obvious
47 synergy.
48
49 Note that neither the council nor the Foundation currently sets any
50 kind of direction for Gentoo. They decide on overall policies, but
51 where Gentoo invests tends to be up to the individual contributors.
52 If we have a lot of Java contributors, then we probably have a lot of
53 Java packages. If we don't have any, then you have the state we're in
54 now. We don't have limits on how many people we take, where we need
55 to prioritize how many people we "hire" for this or that. Ultimately
56 we accept anybody who meets the criteria.
57
58 >> > It is a perverted structure no other projects have such a structure. Which
59 >> > is why others rise as Gentoo falls.
60 >>
61 >> This is a non-sequitur.
62 >
63 > Given I have never found any other business or project structured like Gentoo,
64 > it seems pretty accurate. Even Daniel said how things ended up is not what was
65 > intended. That is damn near the definition of perversion.
66
67 I didn't say it wasn't "perverted." I said that your statement is a
68 non-sequitur.
69
70 You suggest that the structure is the cause of us not being as great
71 as you think Gentoo would otherwise be. I don't think you've made a
72 convincing argument that a re-org is really going to change things.
73
74 I've yet to see somebody say "I'd love to donate more of my
75 world-class effort to Gentoo, but man the way those Trustees work is
76 just so off-putting." Most candidate devs could care less about the
77 way the Trustees are set up.
80 >> While I do think that some kind of reform might be beneficial, I don't
81 >> really see it having any significant impact on where Gentoo stands in
82 >> the "marketplace" of distros.
83 >
84 > Limited vision... Gentoo should be playing a major role in open source
85 > integration.
86
87 Sounds great, but I don't see how its meta-structure is hindering this.
90 > I cannot see him ever doing the quizzes, or going through the normal
91 > recruitment. In my opinion he should not have to. Gentoo should treat him as
92 > special and help get him on board.
93
94 Is he even interested in being a Gentoo developer? What is in it for
95 him? And if it is just altruism why couldn't he be bothered with the
96 quizzes?
99 > For FOSS development, next to like maybe BSD, there is not really much better
100 > than Gentoo...
103 No argument. So, if we've already conquered the world, what is the problem?
104
105 I think there are various reasons that it might be ideal to fix the
106 meta-structure. However, I don't think it will improve much in how
107 the day-to-day Gentoo experience is felt, and it could very well be a
108 distraction from other things that actually do improve the day-to-day
109 experience. The things you're expressing concerns about (few people
110 care about maintaining Java in the Gentoo repo) aren't going to be
111 solved by changing how the Foundation works. It isn't like re-orging
112 the Foundation/Council is going to make the CoC go away, or that the
113 values of a majority of the devs are going to change when they vote
114 for whoever ends up being in charge.
117 Rich