From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 23:47:07
1 On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 01:14:44PM -0500, Brian Evans wrote:
2 > I personally would be sad to see rsync go as I use the git developer
3 > tree as my main repository on 2 machines. This is so I can develop and
4 > update from the single source. These have no news or md5-cache and it
5 > can be painful to generate metadata on one of them.
6 > I rely on scripts to pull down the rsync metadata to expedite this
7 > process. eg. rsync <host>/gentoo-portage/metadata/md5-cache/.
8 As point out elsewhere, news and md5-cache ARE available in the git sync
9 repos.
10
11 > Git has no easy sub-tree download equivalent that I know of.
12 Upstream Git does have development efforts going on towards this goal,
13 spearheaded by developers at Google & Microsoft, who want to work with
14 sub-trees in massive repos.
15
16 Without those new enhancements, it was already possible to checkout only
17 a subtree (but you still had to download all of it).
20 Robin Hugh Johnson
21 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
22 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
23 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
24 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136