From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 20:35:41
1 On 14/10/16 03:40 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Friday, October 14, 2016 12:36:23 PM EDT Raymond Jennings wrote:
3 >> You got it.
4 >>
5 >> My main point is that there should be a way for foundation
6 >> members/devs/whatever to prove a) they're interested enough to show good
7 >> attendance at voting, but b) without having to get politically inclined if
8 >> they can't be arsed to do anything but codemonkey type stuff or what have
9 >> you.
12 > Yes, could go even further.
13 >
14 > Developers/staff/etc automatically have an "Abstain" vote while they are
15 > active in Gentoo. They can literally avoid the foundation entirely but still
16 > be an active member. Not even required to "Abstain" as it is an auto vote.
17 > Though if they choose to vote, they can always change the default.
18 >
19 > That would not apply to "supporters". Just a convenient thing for those within
20 > Gentoo to not have to be bothered with Foundation voting, while retaining
21 > active membership.
22 >
23 > Good points, I do not think they had been brought up!
24 >
25 > Anything that makes Developers/staff/etc life better in Gentoo I am all for!
26 > Less bureaucracy more automation!
29 This would likely provide the smallest overall impact of these changes
30 while still accomplishing the goals. Of course it's still
31 questionable as to whether or not this meets legal requirements for
32 the elections (quorum, turnouts, etc) so it'll need to be worded
33 carefully.