From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Do we want to make changes to the role of the council?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 01:03:03
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 18-04-2010 11:58, Richard Freeman wrote:
5 > On 04/17/2010 07:50 PM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
6 >> Do we want to make changes to the role of the council?
9 > I'm not sure this is actually a change, but I think that many would
10 > consider this a change, so perhaps it should be made explicit:
11 >
12 > There is one Gentoo. The Council heads it up. There is one Gentoo
13 > Foundation. The trustees head it up. Full stop.
14 >
15 > All other positions of leadership/etc exist to facilitate day to day
16 > work. All are subordinate to one of these two bodies. The council may
17 > be voting enact or revoke policy on behalf of any project/etc, and may
18 > make administrative decisions regarding project leads/etc.
19
20 I very strongly disagree with this view. I do want an elected body that
21 can have influence in the distribution, but I don't agree with this view
22 that there's the council, the developers and everything else "doesn't
23 matter" - doesn't matter if it's expressed in other words, more subtly
24 or diplomatically.
25 I'll try to write my ideas on this subject in another reply to this
26 thread, but for now I'll just say that we should try to find a balance
27 between individual projects and their elected leads and the council.
28 Furthermore, we have some special projects like Developer Relations and
29 Infrastructure that need particular care as their "subordinate role" is
30 either not so clear or not so desirable.
31 To address specifically your point about conflict of interest, that is
32 something that we should never waive casually. There is no rule that the
33 DevRel lead cannot be a council member - in case you've missed it, our
34 new DevRel lead is a council member. But we have a policy on how to deal
35 with developers and the eagerness on the idea to throw it away and just
36 let the council (the single body council?) do what it wants, is very
37 disturbing to me.
40 - --
41 Regards,
42
43 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
44 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections