From: Vikraman Choudhury <vikraman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] New research: Gentoo Portage Package Dependencies
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 01:09:01
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Recently I found that there's a new research on Gentoo, specifically
5 >> for Portage and package dependencies[1].
6 >
7 > Thanks for pointing this out! Anybody know anything about their first
8 > reference, also from 2014? As far as I can tell it hasn't been
9 > published yet but I figured I'd ask here before I go bugging the
10 > authors.
13 I found this after googling:
14
15 http://essay.utwente.nl/61920/1/Remco_Bloemen_-_Innovation_Dynamics_in_Open_Source_Software.pdf
16
17 It is a more interesting read compared to the paper.
18
19 > Interesting that they picked Gentoo. It might just be from
20 > familiarity, but a reason to use Gentoo is that the dependency info
21 > for a package is separated from the actual distfiles/etc. Many other
22 > package formats combine these, though perhaps this data is cached
23 > somewhere in a format that could be used historically. If they had
24 > multiple GB of ebuild files I'd hate to think about what that would
25 > look like as .debs.
26 >
27 > Rich
30 Vikraman