From: nado@××××××××××.be
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] For next council meeting: moving Portage to python3.6+
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:30:11
1 April 25, 2018 8:56 AM, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > W dniu śro, 18.04.2018 o godzinie 08∶58 -0700, użytkownik Zac Medico
4 > napisał:
5 >
6 > Removing support for Python 2.7 is going to be a major drawback for our
7 > users. I am not even going to consider those who intentionally reduce
8 > their systems to 2.7 only for one reason or another. However, 2.7 has
9 > been the Gentoo's 'LTS' so far -- different versions of Python 3 come
10 > and go but 2.7 was there for a very long time to ease the transition.
11 > Only recently one of the developers had to solve hard upgrade conflicts
12 > and the simplest way of doing that was to unmerge Python 3 and use
13 > Python 2.7 to install a new version.
14
15 I think that workaround is even more common when you have to update some really old install.
16 I've experienced it two times with Gentoo over the last 5 years, first time was my fault, I messed
17 up my system, and the other is for serously outdated scaleway images [1].
18 It happens and I agree on keeping 2.7 support for a bit longer.
19
20 > With EAPI 7 approaching in days (and the implementation going to
21 > probably have some inevitable bugs), switching supported Python
22 > implementation (or doing any major refactorings, to say) is a very bad
23 > idea. This is going to once again cause a horrible backwards
24 > compatibility problem loop where people wouldn't be able to use EAPI 7
25 > because they would need to provide means to upgrade Python and its
26 > dependencies first, in order to be able to upgrade Portage.
27
28 I agree with this, I'd like to see changes coming nicely separated, not in a bunch and be left
29 determining why I can't upgrade my old system anymore.
30
31 [1] https://github.com/scaleway/image-gentoo/issues/8#issuecomment-343210153
34 Corentin “Nado” Pazdera