From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 16:25:15
1 On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 04:15:14PM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 >
4 > the Gentoo Council will meet again on Sunday, August 14 at 19:00 UTC
5 > in #gentoo-council on FreeNode.
6 >
7 > Please reply to this message on the gentoo-project list with any items
8 > the council should put on its agenda to discuss or vote on.
9
10 I feel that our stable tree is so far behind on all
11 architectures that we are doing our stable users a disservice, so I
12 would like to open up a discussion here, and maybe some policy changes
13 at the next meeting.
14
15 Ultimately, I think we need some form of automated stabilization, e.g.
16 if a package version sits in ~ for 30 days and there are no blockers at
17 that point, the new version should go automatically to stable on all
18 architectures where there is a previous stable version.
19
20 I realize that automation is going to take a lot of work, so in the
21 meantime, I would like to discuss changes to our stabilization policies
22 that will get new versions of packages to stable faster.
23
24 The first issue is maintainers not filing stable requests for new
25 versions of packages in a timely manor. I'm not sure how to get around
26 this, but I feel that once a version of a package is stable, we are
27 doing a disservice to our stable users by not keeping stable as current
28 as possible. I am as bad as anyone; it is easy to forget to file
29 stable requests until someone pings me or files the request
30 themselves.
31
32 I have heard other maintainers say specifically that they do not file
33 stable requests unless a user asks them to, but Again, I do not feel
34 comfortable with this arrangement if there is an old version of the
35 package in stable. Users shouldn't have to ask for newer versions to be
36 stabilized; this should be driven by the maintainers.
37
38 The second issue is slow arch teams. Again, by not moving packages from
39 ~ to stable, we are doing a disservice to our stable users.
40
41 I can think of two ways we can improve our situation.
42
43 We can allow maintainers to stabilize new versions of certain types of
44 packages on all arches where there is a previous version of the package stable
45 without filing stable requests. This would take a significant load off
46 of the arch teams.
47
48 For packages that do not fit the first group, we could require stable
49 requests, but allow maintainers to stabilize the new versions after a
50 timeout (I would propose 30 days).
51
52 What do folks think?
53