From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:35:33
1 Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
2 >> And no-source-code means that no public free licensed source code
3 >> exists at all, or is just not shipped in the distfile? Do we need to
4 >> distinguish these two? (I think this affects various -bin packages
5 >> and fonts mostly)
6 >
7 > BTW, do you have a list of packages that are affected by this?
8
9 No, just casual observations. This list is not complete.
10
11 * media-fonts packages without fontforge USE flag don't build from source,
12 and sometimes the source cannot be located despite the font license
13 qualifying as free
14 * KDE and other artwork comes as PNG but lacks the (presumably SVG) source
15 from which it was generated
16 * Some firmware comes with source but requires special toolchain for building
17 * Some -bin packages are built by Gentoo projects (icedtea-bin,
18 libreoffice-bin) and we know where the source is
19 * Some -bin packages are built by upstreams (firefox-bin, openoffice-bin)
20 where it is maybe less clear which exact source it was built from. In the
21 case of firefox-bin there are additional trademark issues when redistributing
22 modified versions
23 * Some binary packages have binaries under restrictive licenses but source
24 code under free licenses (e.g. android-sdk-update-manager, sun-jmx)
25
26 I think at least for the first three points, Debian has already done
27 extensive work.
30 Best regards,
31 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn