From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Appeals of Moderation Decisions
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 04:57:50
1 On 02/03/19 08:53, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 3. Februar 2019, 14:41:19 CET schrieb Kristian Fiskerstrand:
3 >> On 2/3/19 12:44 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >>> Am Sonntag, 3. Februar 2019, 05:22:09 CET schrieb desultory:
5 >>>> ComRel, as I have previously mentioned, engages in some extremely
6 >>>> questionable practices, though (again) to their credit at least they
7 >>>> admit it.
8 >>>
9 >>> And parts of forums should rather go away sooner than later, given how
10 >>> even
11 >>> moderators take part in highly questionable threads. That mess also
12 >>> reflects on Gentoo as a whole.
13 >>
14 >> To be more concrete here if we want to put it on the agenda, we're
15 >> talking about OTW only, or are there other categories etc that are
16 >> non-gentoo-related on official communication channels?
17 >
18 > My main point is that OTW needs to be nuked from orbit.
19 >
20 Your "main point" appears to ignore how developers regularly engage in
21 discussion at least as "bad" as what has been cited in other official
22 channels without anyone, at least seriously, calling for e.g #gentoo-dev
23 to be "nuked from orbit". Your "main point" also ignores that several
24 users who regularly provide support, you know the thing the forums are
25 primarily for, spend as much time on the forums as they do in part due
26 to having something like Off the Wall functioning as a sort of social hall.
27
28 > That said, I'm not sure how much the forums / forum mods are still integrated
29 > with the developer community in general. Maybe we devs just need to become
30 > more active on the forums. Sometimes it feels like a parallel universe (where
31 > Spock has a beard) though.
32 >
33 Developers do, and have, taken part in the forums. Yes there have been
34 negative interactions with developers, but it is mostly minor and
35 handled when found or reported and by far the worst cases have involved
36 the developers behaving far and away worse than the users they were in
37 conflict with.
38
39 So if you are looking to become more active on the forums you are
40 entirely welcome to it, but bear in mind that the rules apply to
41 developers every bit as much as they do to users, if you consider that
42 to be a "disconnect" then I would suggest considering how that "reflects
43 on Gentoo as a whole".
44
45 As for describing the forums as something that "feels like" the
46 stereotypical evil mirror universe, might I suggest some reading
47 material for you? [CoC]
48
49 [CoC] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct