From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Support for separate /usr
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 14:59:45
1 >>>>> On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> I have no opinion whether separate usr should be supported or not:
6 >> I have not been using this layout since years. However, I strongly
7 >> prefer some kind of consistency: The traditional layout with a
8 >> minimal / to boot or the usr move both have their advantages; if we
9 >> go for something in between we get none of them.
10
11 > I tend to loosely agree here.
12
13 > My inclination right now is to support this proposal if either of
14 > the following is true:
15 > 1. Somebody explains that right now the absence of a decision is
16 > causing them actual problems (extra work, limitations, whatever).
17 > 2. This becomes necessary to enable some larger long-term goal,
18 > which has received council approval.
19
20 > #2 was basically covered by Alexis already.
21
22 > Regarding #1, I informally emailed the base-system maintainers a
23 > week ago about whether there was any need to revisit last year's
24 > decision. I didn't really get a sense that anybody really needed the
25 > council to step in now. I recognize that William is also a
26 > base-system maintainer so if he wants to state that he is subject to
27 > some kind of extra work or such supporting separate /usr without an
28 > early boot workaround I'll certainly be sympathetic.
29
30 > I do favor the dropping of support for separate /usr without an
31 > early boot workaround. I just don't think the council should
32 > actually step in until somebody needs us to, or as part of some
33 > larger plan. If the base-system maintainers have things under
34 > control, better to let them handle it.
35
36 I mostly agree with aballier and rich0.
37
38 It so happened that I had chaired the 2012-04 council meeting and it
39 seems that I failed to make sure that the vote was on a well-defined
40 question.
41
42 Trying to interpret or clarify that 2012-04 vote won't help much:
43 That a separate /usr _with_ an initramfs is supported is self-evident,
44 so it would have been moot to vote on this. OTOH, a separate /usr
45 being supported _without_ an initramfs raises the question what
46 "supported" means. Obviously there are situations where such a
47 configuration doesn't currently work, and it is not even clear if
48 making it work would be feasible. For example, if a user chooses to
49 emerge sys-apps/shadow with cracklib and pam USE flags enabled, then
50 he cannot expect it to be fully functional without /usr being mounted.
51 So there _is_ some amount of inconsistency already, and maybe it's not
52 even fixable, given the many possible configurations with different
53 USE flags. (For a binary distro, it may be easier.) However, for basic
54 configurations, like the one used for stage3, the root file system
55 still seems to be self-supporting.
56
57 I think one thing to consider is where we want to go in the long term.
58 The FHS [1] specifies binaries that must be in /bin and /sbin, mainly
59 sys-apps/coreutils, sys-apps/util-linux, sys-apps/shadow, and a
60 handful of others (that are related to networking, archiving, system
61 boot and shutdown). Shared libraries needed by these binaries must be
62 in /lib*.
63
64 Shall we stick to this FHS requirement, as far as it is technically
65 feasible, or shall we do the /usr merge which also has benefits? Or
66 some middle ground between these two solutions? (But I'm with aballier
67 here, that would lead to further inconsistencies and we won't get the
68 advantages of either solution.) Are we even ready to decide on this
69 question yet?
70
71 What shall we do in the short term? For the upcoming council meeting,
72 the following questions come to mind:
73 - Do we need any new decisions at all? Or are we confident that
74 maintainers (mainly base-system) will do the right thing?
75 - Should binaries stay in /bin or /sbin if the FHS says so, or if
76 they're otherwise needed for booting? (For the time being, until we
77 make up our mind about the /usr merge?)
78 - Are shared libraries needed by binaries in /bin or /sbin to be
79 installed in /lib*?
80 - Do we discourage moving further programs from /usr to /, in order
81 to keep the root filesystem at a small size? Even if this causes
82 inconsistencies in some configurations?
83
84 Ulrich
85
86 [1] http://www.linuxbase.org/betaspecs/fhs/fhs/ch03.html